This is the fourth in a series which started with Hair Care. The other two posts cover Colds and Coughs. The information in this series is the knowledge of my grandmother, which I documented as part of a project on medicinal plants and home remedies.
- Mustard paste with water is applied on joints. This reduces foot ache.
- A solid piece of rock salt is dipped in Nallennai and heated. This is given as Otharam (heated material is wrapped in clean cotton cloth and pressed on the appropriate areas). This is good for a swelling, injury or for thorns.
- Water is boiled with salt and this also given as an Otharam with cotton.
- If there is body ache especially in the leg an appropriately sized heated brick can also be used for otharam (for its heat retention capacity).
- Thenna olai (coconut leaves) which ripens in the tree is made into an ash and mixed with thenga ennai (coconut oil). This is applied on shoe bites.
- Reds lumps on feet are treated with lime juice.
- Red lumps can also be treated with a mixture of turmeric, rice batter, water and velakkennai (castor oil). This is stirred with a spoon till it gets sticky and pasty. More vellakennai(castor oil) is added and this is soaked in a cotton cloth and applied on the lumps.
The pictures used in this series are inserted from other websites. I have used them only to illustrate the ingredients used in the remedies.